LAST UPDATED: JUNE 01, 2020
We are committed to protecting your privacy online. We appreciate that you do not want the personal information you provide to us distributed indiscriminately and here we explain how we collect information, what we do with it and what controls you have.
INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT FROM YOU
The information we may collect and process about you includes (but is not limited to) :
- Information (such as your name, email address, delivery address, shipping address, date of birth and telephone number) that you provide by completing forms on the Site, including when you register as a user of the Site, subscribe to any service, upload or submit any material (for example, photos, and videos) via the Site, request any information, or enter into any competition or promotion we may sponsor;
- Your reviews and pictures of our products and reviews of our stores which you submit to the Site;
- In connection with an account sign-in facility, your log-in and password details;
- Details of any transactions or purchases made by you through the Site or in store;
- Financial information (including credit/debit card details or bank account details) in order to process any orders or purchases you make through the Site or in store;
- Communications you send to us, for example to report a problem or to submit queries, concerns or comments regarding the Site or its content;
- Information from surveys that we may, from time to time, run on the Site for research purposes, if you choose to respond to, or participate in, them;
- Employment details if you send us a CV, resumé or other details of your employment history in connection with an advertised job vacancy or a general enquiry regarding employment opportunities with us.
You are under no obligation to provide any such information and may deal with us or visit the Site anonymously or by pseudonym. However, if you should choose to withhold certain requested information, we may not be able to provide you with certain services. For example, we may not be able to process a purchase order you have made on the Site or we may be unable to assist you in setting up an account on the Site.
We may, from time to time, run referral programmes or similar initiatives, such as a "Tell a Friend" programme, that invite you to provide us with the contact details of someone who is known to you who may find our products or services to be of interest. We will only use those contact details for the purpose of the relevant initiative (and not for general marketing purposes). By providing us with their details, you confirm that you have their permission to do so and must not provide us with the details of anyone from whom you do not have such permission. We reserve the right to identify you as the person who has made the referral in the message that is sent to them.
When you visit the Site, we may automatically collect additional non-personal information about you, such as the type of internet browser you use, any website from which you have come to the Site, details of your usage of our Site and your IP address (the unique address which identifies your device on the internet) which is automatically recognised by our web server. You cannot be identified from this information and it is only used to assist us in providing an effective service on the Site, monitoring and analysing website traffic on our Site, improving the functionality and features of our Site and to collect broad demographic information for aggregate use.
USES MADE OF YOUR INFORMATION
We will use the information you provide to:
- Enable us to process your orders and to provide you with the services, products and information offered through the Site and which you request;
- Register and administer your account with us and manage your loyalty program;
- Verify, process and carry out financial transactions in relation to payments you make online;
- To contact you or to process and respond to your queries, requests or feedback;
- For our internal business purposes, such as business management or accounting/auditing purposes;
- Audit the downloading of data from the Site;
- Improve the layout and/or content of the pages of the Site and customise them for users;
- Identify visitors to the Site;
- To monitor, track and conduct analysis on our Site’s usage and website traffic and carry out research on our users' demographics and tracking of sales data.
From time to time, we may use your personal information to send you information we think you may find useful or which you have requested from us, including newsletters and information about our products and services, promotions, offers or competitions that we may be conducting and the other Decathlon brands (for a list of our brands please visit http://corporate.decathlon.com/en/our-brands/passion-brands/), provided you have indicated that you do not object to being contacted for these purposes. Any such communications you receive will be sent by us. In determining what we think may be of interest to you, we will consider all such information which you provide to us. This will include content submitted to the Sites such as reviews. This helps us ensure that the content we send you is modified for your interests so that you receive relevant communications. Information collected from you will also influence which adverts you see when you are browsing on the Site.
If you do not wish to receive these marketing communications, you can tell us not to contact you with information regarding our products and services:
(a) at the point such information is collected on the Site (by checking or un-checking (as directed) the relevant box); or,
(b) where you do not wish us to continue to use your information in this way, by following the unsubscribe instructions on any communications sent to you; or
We may disclose the personal information we collect about you to third parties which may include (but is not limited to):
- Our related entities, affiliates or business partners such as our parent company, Decathlon SA located in France;
- Third party service providers, agents, contractors, suppliers, vendors and other parties who we may engage to assist us in the management and conduct of our business, in providing the services we offer through the Site, processing transactions (for example, payment processors), fulfilling requests for information, receiving and sending communications, distributing marketing materials and updating marketing lists (for example, mailing houses), couriers analysing data, providing support services or in other tasks (for example, website hosting services, third party information storage and database management services), from time to time. Our agents and contractors will only use your information to the extent necessary to perform their functions;
- Government or regulatory bodies and agencies, law enforcement bodies (such as the police), courts of law, if required or authorised to do so by law or if we believe that such action is necessary to prevent fraud or cyber-crime or to protect the Site or the rights, property, or personal safety of any person. For example, we may be required to disclose your personal information to a court of law in response to a subpoena or legal order or to exercise legal rights or defend against claims such as intellectual property infringement;
- Third parties in the event of any reorganisation, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or disposition of all or any portion of our business or operations (including without limitation in connection with bankruptcy or similar proceedings); or
- As otherwise permitted or required by law.
We may disclose aggregate statistics about visitors to the Site, customers and sales in order to describe our services to prospective partners, advertisers, sponsors and other reputable third parties and for other lawful purposes, but these statistics will include no personally identifiable information.
DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION OVERSEAS
We may also disclose your personal information to overseas recipients for the purposes of conducting our business. For example, we may share the information collected from you with our parent company, Decathlon France SA, registered in France, Lille, RCS 306 138 900 and our other related companies or affiliates. Decathlon France SA and its subsidiaries own a number of brands, and your personal information may be shared or accessed via Decathlon SA, with these brands. A full list of Decathlon France SA’s brands can be seen here: http://corporate.decathlon.com/en/our-brands/passion-brands.
We may also transfer your personal information to overseas recipients who may assist us in the processing, storage or analysis of your information (for example third party cloud storage service providers), processing of credit card payments or provide technical or website support to us. For example, your personal information may be sent to and stored on secure servers which are necessary to process the information, located in China, France, or Ireland. See Storage of Your Information below.
Countries outside of New Zealand may not always have the same or similar privacy and data protection laws as New Zealand and, in some cases, foreign law may require us to disclose your personal information overseas, for example to an overseas law enforcement authority. Please be aware that you may not be able to seek redress for a breach of privacy in a country outside of New Zealand. However, where we do provide your personal information to third parties, Decathlon will take such steps as reasonable to ensure your information is used in accordance with this policy.
In the event that the processing of your personal information involves the disclosure of any information outside New Zealanc, you acknowledge that, by providing us with your personal information, you consent to such overseas disclosure. By consenting to such disclosure, you acknowledge that:
- Decathlon will not be accountable under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) for any breach of your privacy by the overseas recipient, and
- You will not be able to seek redress under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) against Decathlon for any breach of your privacy by an overseas recipient.
STORAGE OF YOUR INFORMATION
Information that you submit via the Site will only be stored for as long as we legitimately need it or as required by the law. This information is sent to and stored on secure servers which are necessary in order to process the information. These are located within China, France, and Ireland. Information submitted by you may be transferred by us to our other offices and/or to the third parties mentioned in the circumstances described above (see Information Sharing), which may be situated outside New Zealand and may be processed by staff operating outside New Zealand. The countries concerned may not have similar data protection laws to the Privacy Act 1988 and the New Zealand Privacy Principles. For example, your personal information may be disclosed in China or in the European Economic Area. Where we transfer your information we will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your privacy rights continue to be protected.
Protecting the safety of children when they use the Internet is very important to us. We recommend that children receive permission from their parent or guardian before gaining access to the Site or sending personal information to us or anyone else online.
We place great importance on the security of all personally identifiable information associated with our users.
We have security measures in place to attempt to protect against the loss, misuse, interference, and unauthorised access, alteration or disclosure of personal information under our control.
For example, our security and privacy policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary and access to your personal information is provided only to authorised personnel who require such access for the purposes of completing their jobs.
You should bear in mind that submission of information over the internet is never entirely secure and whilst we cannot ensure or guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration of information will never occur, we use all reasonable efforts and take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to prevent it. We cannot guarantee the security of information you submit via the Sites whilst it is in transit over the internet and any such submission is at your own risk.
It is advisable to close your browser when you have finished your user session to help ensure others do not access your personal information if you use a shared computer or a computer in a public place.
Decathlon takes such steps as are reasonable to ensure that the personal information that we collect and hold about you is accurate, up-to-date and complete. However, we rely on the accuracy of the personal information you provide to us.
You have a legal right under the Privacy Act to request access to, or obtain a copy of, all the personal information about you held by us. You also have a right to correct any errors in that information.
You may make a request for access to your personal information or the correction of your personal information by:
-Logging into your account on the Site and accessing your profile page to view or correct the personal information recorded on our Site; or
-Contact us using the details listed below under “Contacting Us”, and providing us with the details of your request for access and/or correction.
Once we receive your request, we will endeavour to respond within a reasonable period after your request is made. There are some exceptions, specified by law or regulation, where we may refuse your request. If one of these circumstances applies, we will provide you with a written explanation of the reasons for the refusal, unless it would be unreasonable to do so.
Please note that Decathlon reserves the right to charge a reasonable fee for granting your access to the personal information.
As mentioned above, you have a right to prevent the use of your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
COMPLAINTS AND CONCERNS
If you have any concerns or complaints about the handling or treatment of your personal information or if you believe that your privacy has been breached, please contact us by sending us an email at email@example.com We will then investigate your complaint and endeavour to provide you with our response within a reasonable period of receiving your complaint. If after receiving our response, you still consider that your privacy complaint has not been resolved, you may refer your complaint to the New Zealand Privacy Commissioner at https://www.privacy.org.nz/.
You can write to us using the following mailing address and/or email address:
Decathlon New Zealand, DLA Piper New Zealand, 205 Queen Street, Auckland, 1010, NZ